My blog has moved, come check out the new site!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://KellysLuckyYou.com
and please update your bookmarks.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Movie Reviews - The Last Airbender vs Grown Ups

The Last Airbender vs Grown Ups?
Kind of like the Chicago White Sox vs the Chicago Cubs - someone's gotta win, but it's not pretty!

I went to the theater today to see The Last Airbender. I hadn't heard much about the movie, but had a vague recollection of seeing a sci-fi preview. The story started out like this. There are four elements and tribe-like groups of people on earth: water, air, earth and fire. There is only one person who can "bend" all four elements, he is called the Avatar (not James Cameron's Avatar, totally different). The Avatar is also the only one who can communicate with the spirits. He keeps the elements in balance and harmony and brings peace to the earth. But the Avatar has been missing for 100 years. Two young people find him and help him try to restore balance and peace.

I stayed through one bag of popcorn, more than twenty bad lines, at least five laughs from the audience when it wasn't supposed to be funny, and several other people walking out.

When I came home, I googled and found out it was directed by M. Night Shyamalan. He was one of my favorites..."was" being the key word in that sentence. I had just forgiven him for The Happening, but this one is going to take even longer to get over. And I love, love, love The Sixth Sense, Signs, Unbreakable, even The Village.

Wow. It's difficult to give The Last Airbender even 1/2 a star. I have to go with zero. Stay home!

When I left Airbender, I went into Grown Ups. I did at least stay to the end of Grown Ups. But that said, it was painful to watch and not only because all of the cheap crotch shots. Of which there were many. And pee and poop and other bodily function jokes. Which would be okay if they were funny, but 98% of the time, they weren't. And I saw this one with a fun audience - hearty laughers. Generous souls that laughed more often than I did....

Grown Ups was about a group of men who return to their high school coaches funeral. They spend the Fourth of July weekend together with their families at a lake house, reminiscing about their "glory days" and looking at where they've been and where they're going. The cast was so promising, Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Kevin James, and David Spade. Somewhere it went wrong.
This one I can give one star, but that's it. Gotta say "stay home!" for this one too.

22 comments:

  1. I saw Grown Ups yesterday and I liked it, didn't find it as laugh-out-loud-funny as Adam Sandlers previous movies, but I liked it enough that I will most likely buy it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following my blog, following you as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woops I forgot ther were even other movies ou there besdies Twilight hahah. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been so long since I actually saw a movie! I was such an Adam Sandler fan back in the day that it's sad that his movies just aren't the same nowadays...

    Thanks for joining us for Friendly Friday! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joining you from Friendly Friday. I am afraid that M. Night is losing his touch. :( Check me out! http://homemadehodgepodge.blogspot.com/
    Thanks.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I'm your newest follower from FF - love your blog! Hope to see you at Dropped Stitches!

    xo Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for visiting my blog..following along :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my. How disappointing. I was looking forward to seeing the Last Airbender. Are you a SF/F fan? I figured that grown-ups would be exactly how said. Fit for a gross 10 year old, right?

    Following back BTW. Thanks so much for visiting me. ♥ Rachel @ Anya's Room

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey.... I'm following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for stopping by World of Dennifer, great movie reviews - I was wondering how grown ups was!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the updates. I know where I'm not going to waste my money this weekend.

    thanks for stopping by the blog- following you too!

    http://paperflora2.blogspot.com
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/PaperFlora
    http://twitter.com/PaperFlora2

    ReplyDelete
  12. My hubby just mentioned us seeing Airbender. I appreciate the review and the money you saved us for tickets. We saw Knight and Day last week and I thought it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ha ha...good to know..now I will steer clear of those movies!!

    thanks for popping by my blog via friendly friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey there! Following you back. My husband went to see the Airbender movie and DID NOT like it either!!! Katina @ www.peacefuldivas.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the follow...following you back! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the review! Such Great Advice As Always! I feel that I have been very lucky lately; take a look at my new phrase "The Goblet List" @MySkinConcerige on Twitter or www.myskinconciergeblog.com on Blogspot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! Thanks for visiting me. Now I'm following you. :) I agree with your review of Grown Ups and I'll be staying away from Airbenders.

    Hope you have a great week!

    Alison

    http://welcomesunshinehome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stopped by again to let you know that I saw The Last Airbender...and I totally know what you are saying. Some good acting, huh?? I have an award for you. http://www.anyasroom.com/2010/07/anyas-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the tip - WOW - I planned to go see it -now I won't!

    Love to you
    kelly
    I've Become My Mother

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi! thanks for following! following you back now. Im having second thoughts about the movie. I love Night Shyamalan. But I have been reading a lot of reviews about it. most of them are like 0-1 stars....

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks for stopping by my blog. I am following back.
    Wow, thanks for the heads up on the movie. We've been debating on whether we'd want to see it or not but we'll have our money.

    www.bassgiraffe@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails